Diabetes and oral health
Safely managing the patient with diabetes requires effective communication among multiple health care providers.
PREVALENCE AND INCIDENCE OF DIABETES
SYSTEMIC ASPECTS OF DIABETES
Signs and symptoms.
- – to normalize blood glucose levels;
- – to prevent acute complications and eliminate symptoms;
- – to maintain ideal body weight;
- – to prevent or minimize chronic complications.
ORAL SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES
Gingivitis and periodontitis.
Oral mucosal diseases.
Oral infections (candidiasis).
Neurosensory and visual disorders.
Dental treatment considerations for the patient with diabetes.
Adjustment of insulin or hypoglycemics.
Monitoring glycemic control.
Communication with physicians.
Treatment of oral complications of diabetes.
The Journal of the American Dental Association (October 2003) 134, 4S-10S
- © October 2003 American Dental Association